Sunday, January 6, 2013

Review: Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Goodreads summary:

No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.


But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.


After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.


Together we’re stronger... and they know it.


Plot:

The plot was amazing. How Jennifer can plot so well is beyond me. If I'd try that, there would be loose ends everywhere. And the story line just keeps getting better and better! When I started reading the Lux series, I thought it would be sort of a contemp. plot, because of Katy, and her love for books, and everything else. But when the aliens joined the picture, and everything else that came with it...oh no....


Characters:


I love Katy. She is so cool, even though she drives me nuts with wanting to do everywhere her way. But in the end, it pays off. 


Daemon is just awesome. In the beginning of the series, he was a serious jerk, and I know a lot of people didn't enjoy that, but if you get to Opal and a little bit of Onyx, you'll see how he's more than a jerk, he's got layers....like an onion. (sorry! Had to use the Shrek reference.)


Dee, Ash, Andrew, weren't big main characters, but I loved them anyway. Dee's still hurting, but in the end, she comes back a little bit. And you got to see a better side of Ash in this book, even though she's still a brat. And Andrew doesn't speak much half the time, but he's still cool too.


Blake...oh Blake...I just couldn't figure him out at all. I knew they shouldn't trust him, but then I would trust him, and then something would happen and then I would trust him...he is a puzzle I tell you.


And along with the rest of the characters, it all worked. Jennifer is so talented!


Writing:


The writing was alright. It wasn't hard to read. And since I had just finished Phantom of the Opera, I was on a classic high. But Jennifer is still amazing with her writing. And she didn't add as many swear and cuss words as the past books, which was really great for me.


Romance:


Ah, yes. The romance. It was good at first, but then it got to the point where it was too much. And some scenes, I had to skim, and wait them to be over. I'm not a huge over doser or romance, but others, I know that's what they like. But Daemon and Katy are just so great together.


Wrap up:


I'm still choking up when I think about the ending. It was so beautifully tragic. *sniffs* I can't wait for Origin though! *cries some more* I can't believe I have to wait until July...but as an author, I totally get that, but STILL! *sobs*


Rating:


****.5


-M.

No comments:

Post a Comment